Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dd

No, that's not a typo. My dad starting signing off on e-mails a good year or two ago as Dd. I guess by leaving the "a" out, the IT folks at work would never put together that he's sending out personal e-mails to his family. Very sneaky, that Dd. So when that signature came around, it just kind of stuck. If you know my family at all, we have too many inside jokes and code to ever list, and they never really go away. The Husband said it took about a year for him to finally catch on to them all. My Dad also has some sort of saying to pretty much go with anything. One example of that is when I'd come home from college and go out with my high school friends all night, I'd roll out of bed looking like death warmed over the following day. He'd say, "Whoa, you look like you were shot at and missed; shit at and hit." Touche. Or his clever farming (I grew up in the sticks for those who don't know) analogy for a hangover, "Plow all night, drag all day, Ker." I knew that one all too well. Or the ever popular Sunday night quote of "Back in the harness tomorrow". That gave "the grind" a whole new twist. Apparently at his place of employment they are called "Al-isms".

So last Sunday we celebrated my Dad's birthday. Five-eight and looking great. The whole fam got together at my parents' house. We grilled some burgers and brats, had some potato salad and my mom's famous turtle cake with ice cream. Good stuff.
We all got my dad a new set of golf clubs which he really liked. I know he'll get some use out of them. So then we all hit some golf balls in the backyard. My parents have a giant backyard, which is perfect for that. We got some cornhole in as well. The girls finished off the day with some hula hooping. Yeah, we sure know how to throw a party.

Aunt Nese blowing raspberries on Anders's stomach. He loved it.




Family photo #1.



Family photo #2.


Mom working it with some hula hoop action.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day Dd-n-lw!!! All the great insiders and Al-isms are just a couple of the bonuses to be a part of this fabulous family!

Luvs~

apt said...

I'll bet Al and Charlie would be good friends.
Great family photos! Love the hula hoop.

Keri said...

Turtle cake, cornhole, hula hooping... sounds like a fun party to me!

Happy birthday, Dd!

Kerri, you should start posting an Al-ism of the week. They're hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Shit at and hit. In all the years I've hung out with (and woken up looking like that at your parents house) I've never heard that before. OMG! I almost peed my pants. LOVE IT!
~jenn

Christina said...

Your dad sounds a lot like my Grandpa. He had a lot of one liners:

If someone was pulling at a wedgie, he'd say "Are you at the movies?" why? "because you're picking your seat".

Geez, it's late and there a ton more, we should do a nest post on these.