Sunday, February 15, 2009

Falling In Love...Or Maybe Just Falling

In lieu of Valentine's Day, I thought I'd share one of my proud moments from dating that happened on this such holiday.

About eight years ago, I had started hanging out and seeing someone.  This is probably the second time we had gone out, and we decided to meet up a little later on Valentine's Day at one of the bars in town.  My roommate and I drove up there, had a few drinks, and then he showed up a while later.  My roommate decided to call it a night, and after a few more drinks, socializing, and the bar kicking us out, we did too.

Since it was one of our first dates, I was dressed to impressed.  Black pants, heels, the works. He had parked probably eight blocks away, hey it was free parking.  So we trudged out into the cold night on the snowy sidewalks.  You can't really expect college students to shovel the walks, you know.  We were having some laughs, and even ran into some people we knew walking home too.  After a long walk, his SUV was finally in site.  I made it all the way to the car walking on snow covered sidewalks, and then...

He walked to the passenger door to unlock it and let me in.  As I stepped into the grass area between the sidewalk and the road, the snow was kind of sloped, and I lost my footing.  As he stood there with the door open waiting for me, my feet slid out from underneath me.  It happened so fast.  I bit it hard, and ended up sliding underneath his vehicle!  He asked if I was OK, and after a slight pause I got out a weak "yeessss?".  My head and shoulders were sticking out from underneath the car, so he was able to help me up to my feet.  In addition to my pride being injured, I had jerked my left shin up as a reaction to falling, and ended up kicking the frame of the car on my way under.  If you've ever hit your shin bone (tibia for the medical folk), you know it hurts. However, through the pain, I laughed the whole way home. I mean if you don't laugh, you'll cry right?

So in addition to falling on a second date, bruising my shin, and injuring my ego, I learned an important lesson:  shoes that make you fall go into the garbage.

Ahh, married life; where you can fall, and not leave your dignity under the car.  Thanks to the Husband for saving me from those awkward moments for the rest of my life. 

6 comments:

Christina said...

This story is so sweet!!!

Maribeth said...

What a cute story.

Em said...

AWWW!!

Heather said...

cute story!

apt said...

Thanks for sharing a laugh at your expense. Also, ouch, ouch, ouch (for the tibia and the ego).

Anonymous said...

Lol!! Oh no! How awful, but funny... Heeee! ;)