Friday, September 26, 2008

Black Bean Tostadas With Corn Relish

I found another fabulous black bean recipe. This one came from Everyday Food Magazine. Aside from the cheese (which you could easily omit), this is a great vegetarian meal. I'll definitely be making this one again. Even the Husband liked it, although he thought it could use a little salt, so he topped his with Cholula Hot Sauce.

The recipe:

2-limes
2-scallions
1-package (10 oz) frozen corn kernels
3-tbsp of olive oil
Salt and pepper
1-jalapeno chile
1-pint grape tomatoes
8-ounces monterrey jack cheese, not sliced
4-flour tortillas
1-can (15 oz) black beans
1-avocado
reduced-fat sour cream, for serving (optional)

1. Start corn relish: Squeeze limes into a medium bowl. Thinly slice scallions, and add to bowl along with corn. Add 1-tbsp of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper; toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate.*

2. Prep vegetables: Halve jalapeno (remove ribs and seeds for less heat if desired), mince. Halve tomatoes. Combine in an airtight container, cover and refrigerate.**

3. Shred Cheese, place into plastic bag, and refrigerate.***

4. Make tostadas: Preheat oven to 475-degrees****. Arrange tortillas on two baking sheets; brush both sides with remaining 2-tbsp of olive oil. Rinse and drain beans; sprinkle over tortillas. Top with tomatoes, jalapeno, and cheese. Bake until golden and crisp, about 10-minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.

5. Finish with corn relish: While tostadas are baking, pit and peel avocado; dice. Toss with corn mixture to combine.*****

6. For serving, top tostadas with corn relish, and if desired, sour cream.

Now, for MY way of making the tostadas.

*I did not refrigerate the corn relish after putting it together, because I had no intention of serving it cold.

**I didn't refrigerate the jalapeno and tomatoes either.

***I used shredded cheese instead of buying a block of cheese and shredding it myself. The el lazy-o route.

****I used hard shell tortillas that I had on hand, so I didn't have to oil up the soft shells. I topped the tortillas with everything except for the avocado. I wasn't all that crazy about putting cold relish on my tostada. I wanted everything the same temperature.

*****I added the avocado to the tostadas after they came out of the oven.

Incredibly deliciously!!! Definitely a keeper.

Stock photo...

3 comments:

Keri said...

Sounds good! I'll have to try it. Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

Oh yum, those look great!

apt said...

I will be trying these out this week! Looks sooooo good.