Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Lunch Lady Made Me Cry

I'll start off by saying she didn't mean to. I was paying for my chicken wrap at the cafeteria, when this sweet, old lady that works the register that I have been chatty with when I pass through for the last year and a half asks me when I'm going to have a baby.

Normally I wouldn't have minded because I know she's just trying to be nice, but three things were on my mind:
1.) The co-workers that were standing in line behind me that were clearly listening in. I don't like one of them. I don't want her knowing my business.
2.) That I was wearing the exact same pants I was the last time I got asked if I was pregnant.
3.) The conversation I just had with a co-worker before lunch about how me and another girl who just got hired are the ONLY people on the professional (whatever the hell that's supposed to mean) track not at the "senior" level. I've been here four years this coming December.

After I tried as politely and awkwardly as I could to dodge the 'ol baby question with a vague "ohhh, we're thinking about it" response, the lunch lady responded with "That will be nice when you do.", and a sweet smile.

So as I sit down at my desk, on the verge of tears thinking about how much I hate this fricken place, my phone rings. It's the husband. He's having a bad day too. As much as I want to say, "Come get me, I want to go home!", I suck back in the tears, no way am I crying here at work. In front of them. Every person that walks by and looks at me typing away on my computer I want to give 'em the stink eye and tell them to "Go f-ck yourself. You and your SENIOR level pay. You don't do shit around here, and I know it." And they all know I'm one of two people who isn't at their level. I wonder if they take pity or laugh behind my back? Maybe both. I guess it doesn't really matter.

I'm spitting fire I'm so pissed. I almost wished that I hadn't found out that I'm ONE OF TWO PEOPLE that won't get promoted. Thanks, boss, but really, you can sell the "I wish there was something I could do to get you promoted" bullshit to someone who will buy it. Every other manager around here looks out for their people. At least I finally know what I'm dealing with though. Don't even think about dumping more garbage work on me. Take it to your SENIOR staff. They should be able to handle a busier workload, being that they are SENIOR and all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh K.,
Sweetie - I am so sorry to hear what a crappy day you are having!!! You are gorgeous and do not look prego at all! Slim & Beautiful!!
L.

apt said...

Aw man... I'm sorry to read this. Is there someone else you can talk with about promotion potential for your future?
Did she ask if you were pregnant? Maybe she just thinks you'll be a terrific mom. Don't worry about the pants.

Kerri said...

No, the lunch lady didn't ask if I was pg, she asked when. I just didn't want the lady behind me in line to hear anything that I said about it. Gossip hound. Plus she's said some mean things about me in the past, so that's another reason I don't want her knowing my business.

Maribeth said...

Sorry you are having a bad day. Sorry for the bad co-workers they can make life miserable.

Hope you and your honey can relax tonight.

Christina said...

I'm sorry!!! What a $hitty day for you! I would be just as upset as you. I hope it gets better tonight! Go out and take a walk or something and blast the radio on the way home!!

Christina said...

I'm sorry!!! What a $hitty day for you! I would be just as upset as you. I hope it gets better tonight! Go out and take a walk or something and blast the radio on the way home!!

Christina said...

As you can see, I really meant what I was saying because I posted twice ;-)

Kristen said...

Crappy :( Sorry you had such a stinky day - by now you should be home though, so I hope it's better! Go do something fun!

(PS - can I have some of your lilacs? I swear I could smell them when I saw them in your post below!)

Keri said...

Ugh! What a crappy day. I hope you're enjoying a nice glass of wine (or something like that) right now.

I don't like when people ask when we're having kids, I have days -- too many days -- where I hate all my coworkers, and I also have days where I get very bitter about my job and the role I play at my company. I can't imagine dealing with all of that on the same day. I would have been bawling my eyes out in a bathroom stall if I were you. You're much tougher than I am though.

Just think... only a few days to go until the long weekend!

Heather said...

I'm sorry you had such a bad day yesterday - hope that today is going better!