Saturday, May 31, 2008

Tappa Tappa Tappa

After a few years of wanting to take adult tap dance classes, I finally signed up! When I lived downtown, I had called the Rapid City Dance Factory about classes, but it sounded like one of those things where they just throw you into the mix with a bunch of people who have been doing it for who knows how long, and you have to learn from where they are at. That really intimidated me. I didn't want to be in a class where the rest of the students found themselves telling the instructor "Kerri's bad dancing makes our feet sad!". To quote Ralph Wiggum from The Simpsons.

So I'd thought about it here and there, but never really did anything. Then I accidentally found a beginner tap/jazz class through one of the local Parks and Rec programs here in town. I waited until the last day to sign up, but I did it! Ten weeks of tap class!

To let you know where my interest in tap dance came from, I present the pictures below.

This is me as a Dandy Lion. The first year I did tap, the recital theme was "Enchanted Garden". I came across the program not to long ago. All of the different tap classes that ranged from beginner to advanced level all had costumes to do with an enchanted garden. Some were bees, some were dragonflies, some were fairies, etc. My mom actually wrapped this costume up and gave it to me for Christmas this year, shoes and all. I guess she's trying to get rid of junk in the house. Fair enough.

My dad carried this picture in his wallet until I had senior portraits taken when I was 17. I'd also like to add that my dad still carries a picture of my mom and him from their senior prom around to this day. So he's not exactly on top of updating pictures. Haha.



Year two I was in the soldier group. I imagine they had a cute little name for us, but I can't remember it anymore. I believe the recital theme that year was along the lines of "All the King's Men", or ladies. Or something.

And that was my short lived tap dance career. Until now. Let's hope it goes well...

7 comments:

Christina said...

How cool for you!!! I love the pictures and I just think it's so cool that you are persuing something again that was put on the backburner. I can't wait to hear some stories about your class experiences!

Keri said...

How cute were you in your dance costumes?! Love those pictures.

That's awesome that you're taking dance classes again. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

I think that is so sweet that your dad carries old pics around. It's not about being up to date, it's about keeping memories you love alive!
Have fun with the dancing, but alas, I think you need a pole and that outfit from that girl at the Firm!
Juniper

NotAppealing said...

I love that Dandy Lion photo, it's adorable. Congrats on signing up for the class!

apt said...

Yay for "adult enrichment!" That's awesome. Remember the Friends episode when Monica's identity is stollen and she finds the woman who stole it in a dance class, and then she joins? I'm picturing you as one of the good dancers in that class. Have fun!

The thought of your dad carrying the prom photo is so sweet.
Adorable photos of you in your early dancing career.

Em said...

Fun Kerri!! I am jealous that you can actually dance at all. I have two left feet :o)

Cute pictures!! You were an adorable little girl!

Kristen said...

Yay! Way cool that you're taking a class :) Fun!! I love the pics of you - too cute... and funny ;)