Friday, June 6, 2008

Friday Morning Cool Moment

After I dragged myself from bed this morning at 5:30, the first thing I did was feed the cats, so they'd quit following me around and essentially bothering me. Which was exactly what they'd been doing for the last half hour while I was in bed trying to catch those last few minutes of Zzz's.
For those people with cats, dogs, or a pet of any sort, do your pets act like this? Mine will, at exactly 5:00 a.m. every single morning walk all over me in bed, dig at the covers on my legs like they are burying something in cat litter, meow, whine, and do just about anything to make noise or cause a ruckus all because they want to eat. I have on rare occasions gotten some light bites (more like a pinch with teeth) to the arm to wake me up. I love this one, because right after they do it, they lean back, check the expression on my face to see if I'm mad, and get ready to either do it again (talk about pressing your luck) or to high tail it out of the bedroom. I must add, this stuff never happens to the Husband. They know better than to mess with Daddy when he's sleeping. I'm the pushover.

So I'm going to get the food, and I start to feed the cats at their designated stations. We have to do scheduled feedings and separate them, because two of my cats would otherwise eat until they vomit every single time. They definitely have a problem. I feed Tayshaun, and then I can't find Sasha. Which is strange. I don't think this little lady has missed a meal since she moved in. I kinda walk through the house calling her name, and I see movement in the reflection of the living room window (It's almost daylight at this point, but technically the sunrise hasn't happened yet. You can see, but it's still sorta dark). I laugh to myself for a minute, "probably a ghost", but in reality figure it's my own reflection, and move on to feed Nico.

I'm calling Sasha for another couple of seconds, I'm checking the couches to see if she's curled up there, look in the spare bedroom to see if she's snoozing in there, but seriously, she doesn't miss a meal, what's going on? She comes running from all sides of the house as soon as I open the food bin. I'm baffled. Then I see her. She's propped on the cat tower in the family room in attack mode. I follow her gaze to the right, just in time to see a deer run off! She (the deer) must have been right outside of my bedroom window. That was also probably the reflection I saw in the window; her walking along the outside of the house right under my nose. I'll have to investigate the plant damage (if there is any) tonight. I assume she was doing one of two things, maybe both: Drinking from our bird bath or eating my perennial garden. Hmm, I'm thinking option two, but hoping option one. Regardless, it was pretty cool to see a deer that close to our house. We see them way in the back area on very rare occasions, and I grew up in the country, so I've seen plenty of deer in my day, but not right outside my window. Literally feet away. I was blown away at the bravery of the beast, I suppose. That's kind of gutsy.

The deer is long gone. So I pry (her claws were locked into the fabric she didn't want to leave so bad) Sasha off the tower to go feed her, she really wanted to continue watching out the window. Seeing a deer that close was obviously new to her too. I put her on the floor next to her bowl of food, and walk away. I see her peeking around the corner, eyeing the family room because she wants to go back. I tell her "You need to eat, then you can go back and look, but that deer is not going to be there." So she takes a couple quick bites, then pokes her head around the corner again to take a look, and this continues back and forth until her food is gone.

After I finish getting ready, I go into the bedroom where the Husband is sleeping. I say, "You're never going to believe what I saw!". He jumps up, arms flailing, legs kicking as he sits up really fast. He says "WHAT? What's going on?". I tell him, "There was a deer right outside of our bedroom window this morning! Isn't that nuts?". He then says, "Wha-... Damn, Baby, don't scare me like that." I say, "Gosh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I was just telling you what happened." To which he responds, "Next time try not to sound so excited. You really scared me. I thought something happened."

Well, something did happen, didn't it? I'll have to save my excited voice for when there is a crisis. There is definitely a difference between excitement and panic though. Not in the eyes of the sleeper, I suppose. So I'll keep it toned down from here on out.

Psst! It really was cool though.

7 comments:

Sadie VK said...

Yes, my cat totally does that! Every morning at exactly 6:30 (at least she lets me sleep in longer than your cats), she starts climbing all over me, meowing loudly, and digging at the comforter just like you described. If I don't immediately pay attention to her, she nuzzles her nose under my chin until I get up. Such a brat!

That's awesome about the deer. And so cute about Sasha peeking into the family room while she ate. :-)

NotAppealing said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q

Have you seen Cat Man Do yet?

jennifersadler said...

hahah! I was laughing through this entire post! You are a great story teller!

Keri said...

Oh, lordy, Jinx (Zoey has never been real interested in eating) acts exactly the same way in the morning. She does it anytime between 5 and 6 AM. Her style is to stand on me, knead, purr in my ear, headbutt me, and then - if necessary - take tiny little nips on any available skin that she can find. The funny thing is now, I've learned to sleep through it a lot longer, and its much more difficult for her to wake me up. So, she's recently moved on to waking up Brandon in this way. :-)

That's crazy that a deer was so close to your house!

Heather said...

i hope your flowers are okay!!!

It is cool to see deer that close though - my parents get them outside their windows often, and I love to watch (even though it usually means they are eating my moms plants)...

apt said...

He's lucky you let him sleep, I would have woken Jim up to see a deer under our window. Of course, where we are, that would be even more unusual.
I can only imagine how overwhelmed Sasha must have felt, "woah! That's one big animal for me to guard against."

Em said...

This sounds just like our house. The digging in the covers, the whines, the annoyingness that ensues. And then the hoarding of the food....the eating until we puke mentality...gosh, are cats all the same??

And my Sylvia would totally not eat if there was a deer or a turkey to watch instead. That is much more interesting...even more interesting than eating :o)