Thursday, January 24, 2008

Behold the Power of Soy

I've been wanting to try Soy Milk for ages now. I finally just grabbed a small carton of it on Monday while I was at the store. I figured it I didn't like it, I could ditch it, and it wasn't that much so it wouldn't be incredibly wasteful.

I picked up some organic Vanilla Soy Milk. I like vanilla, so what the heck. I gave it a go last night. I poured a little shot for myself. I had to test it before dowsing my Special K in potential nasty milk. Oh. My. Goodness. It was sooo yummy. I scarfed down a bowl of cereal in no time. This gives plain cereal a whole new taste.

After the Husband arrives home, we do the normal chit chat and then he asks what I ate for dinner. I told him cereal and soy milk. Then I proceeded to tell him how great I thought it was. He in turn tells me, "I know, Kerri. I used to be a hippie. I actually used to drink rice milk, but soy is better for you.". Hmph. Well, I thought I was onto something here. Then I said "I wished I wouldn't have told you how good it was, because now you'll drink it all.".

Which is true. It seems like whenever I buy things for me, he's always getting into them. We'll start with the Slim Fast shakes in a can. I used to buy them for a quick breakfast because of my long commute and early work hours, I never have time to eat at home. Yep, he got into those. He'd just sit and drink them at home. Just because. When I asked about it, it turned into "why are those just for you? You don't know how to share". Never mind the watching my weight thing and the convenience of it all. Fast forward to my South Beach diet. I could have like 70 calories of sugar a day in Phase One. So I purchased some sugar-free Jell-O and Fudgesicles. Those were the only things saving me during that point in my life. Yep, got into those too. I mean, the guy can eat anything in site, but he has to eat the stuff for my diet. I was limited to meat, cheese and vegetables. I'm a carb addict. I don't think I have to say that I felt like I was dying. And to eat my last fudgesicle was crucifixion for me at the time of occurrence.

Ok, so back to the present. Man, can I call it or what? I race home today, looking forward to that bowl of Special K for dinner, and half of the milk is gone. I had a good laugh over that. Hey, at least there was enough for me to eat dinner. That's all I cared about. And next time, I'll buy more, because contrary to his belief, I do know how to share.

1 comment:

apt said...

I can't bring myself to like soy, I'm a vanilla Rice Dream girl.
How about this...
Tell him how much you're loving... I don't know peas (cheap and easy to keep around). Let him get into those while you harbor your next food phase in secret.