Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Some Things Are Meant To Be

I bought a dress on New Year's Eve this year, for New Year's Eve and for a wedding I have coming up this Saturday. On NYE, I just wore the dress with some brown, suede Mary Janes, however, for the wedding I wanted something a little more dressier and matchy-match.


So I did what every person who is looking for GREEN shoes would do. Wait until two weeks before the wedding to find some shoes to wear.


My first attempt was to go to Davids Bridal. Yeah, I didn't have the best luck that night (Feb. 19). I couldn't get anyone to help me, so I was sitting in the shoe corner by myself wondering where the heck all of the size 6's or anything in that range were? I was pretty discouraged, and rather than stand in line to hear "all of our stock is out in the shoe area", I just left. The next day I visited my old friend, Zappos. I figured if I was going to order online, I needed enough time for those babies to ship. I ended up ordering a pair of $185 Charles David green, peep-toe pumps. Gulp. Something about that last statement is all wrong. $185 shoes. GREEN shoes. So you know there wouldn't be much if any "I can wear them with this. I can wear them with that." to make up for the cost of designer shoes. I wasn't even sure if the color was right. So I then purchased a pair of patent leather green pumps with two straps. I figured one of them had to be darn close to the dress color. I couldn't go wrong with the free shipping both ways. Whew. At least I knew if one or both of the shoes didn't work, I wasn't out any money. I even got free over-night shipping. Bonus.


So now it's Thursday morning. I'm having buyers remorse on those sickeningly expensive shoes that I ordered. I just know the expensive ones are the ones that are going to match best. That's how it always works. I can't put the Davids Bridal shoes out of my head. They'd save me so much money at $63 dyed. I could buy almost three pair of $63 shoes for the price of those Charles David shoes.


It's Friday at lunch, and I figure I have to give Davids Bridal one more shot. Maybe, just maybe they have some more shoes in since Tuesday. So the woman on the phone goes to look for me. She comes back and says "Nope, no 6's. I even looked for 6.5's for you too, because sometimes people can wear them instead.". That's when I tell her, actually, if I was going to swing sizes, I'd go the 5.5 route. Could she check for me? She had no problem going to look again. After holding for a couple minutes, she came back to let me know that she had one pair of 5.5's. She was going to put them on hold for me to come try on after work. Bless her. But I wasn't out of the woods yet. Who even knows if the 5.5's will work. I kinda have terrible luck when stuff like this happens. It's like fate wants me to feel sooo close to something and then take it away to have a good laugh at my expense. So I wasn't getting too pumped up just yet.


I get there after work, and have to wait in line to get someone to bring me the shoes to try on. Man is that place busy all the stinking time. Unreal. Anyway, I take my box and walk all the way to the back of the store to try them on in the designated "shoe corner". Like I could find a bench or seat anyplace closer. I put them on, and let me tell you, these things fit like a glove! I would've been so, so sorry if I got a size 6. They would've been too big. So I take the shoes to the front, wait in line, and someone tells me the shoes will be ready in a week for me to pick up. Alrighty then!


Last Friday after work I picked up the shoes and took them home. I took them out of the box, held them up to the dress, and they match about as perfect as I can get. The whole thing couldn't have worked out better. So now I have to send back two pairs of shoes from Zappos. I haven't even opened the box yet. I refused to look unless the Davids Bridal shoes were a complete miss, and I was forced to wear a pair from Zappos. Plus I sure didn't want to fall in love with a pair of $185 shoes only to return them. I wasn't going to risk jinxing my Davids Bridal last resort. I figured not looking at the Zappos shoes helped my chances.





So it doesn't look like a total match from the photos, but let me tell you, it is!

Hopefully I can get some pictures of the Husband and I all dressed up at the wedding to share. Then you can see the whole ensemble. That would be fun.

5 comments:

Christina said...

I'm glad it worked out!!! Can't wait to see pix!

apt said...

Phew... put this one in the win and fate being kind column.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that this shoe story has a happy ending! By the way, I share both your love for Zappo's (huge selection, free overnight and return shipping, and a wide range of sizes) as well as tiny feet (last summer I finally gave up on shopping locally for size 5.5 shoes). - Keri/Kasa

Kerri said...

***Update***
I opened the Zappos box tonight, because I need to return them and ship them back anyway; the packing slip was inside. Let's just say, those Charles David shoes are gorrrgeous! Wow, if they didn't cost so darn much, they would've been perfect for the dress. As my dad would say, "beyond perfect". Well, I'm still happy with Davids Bridal shoes. They will definitely get the job done. Ahh.

Oh, and the green, patent leather shoes were hideous. Style-wise, they looked like something someone's grandmother would've worn. When and where? I have no idea. If they weren't shiny, I would've sworn they resembled the "tootsie rolls" I pulled out of the litter box when the cats went to town on our new plant. Not pretty at all.

Anonymous said...

I love shoes. I love shoes that aren't 'traditional' colors. Do you wear my size shoe? heheh :o)
--Lindsay (LVila)