Sunday, February 24, 2008

Countdown Til Growing Season

I've got my growing schedule all charted out. I plan to start sowing the weekend of March 22. I randomly selected flowers based on difficulty of growing, aesthetics and recommendations. Here they are...

The Impatiens are for the backyard for around the deck area where not much sun can get to the beds.


The Phlox are going to be an addition to the perennial bed I started last year.


The Marigolds will go in the front. I thought they'd look nice in the back of the beds and in a giant planter.

I am going to pair the Marigolds with the Petunias.


And trim with these Mahogany Midgets. I'm having second thoughts on these flowers, but we'll see.


Throw some Pandora's Box Pansies in the hanging baskets, paired up with the Blue Frost Pansies and possibly Petunias.


Here's the Blue Frost Pansies.


I thought I'd put these Peach Phlox off to the side of the house around one of our shrubs.


These are Lilliput Blue Moons. I thought they were very interesting looking. I'll match these babies up with...

Christina's favorite - Zinnia Envy. Love the color.

I thought these little pom-pom Asters were just too cute.

And last but not least, Poppies. I'm just going to drop these seeds into the ground in late April and see how they do. They are supposed to be good seeds for direct sowing. I guess I'll find out!

After making another trip to the Park Seed website, I now want these Sunflowers! You directly place into the ground a strip of tape seeds, cover it with soil, water and watch 'em go. Sounds pretty darn easy. I hope I'm not getting too out of control with my seed growing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works out. I'll be so proud of myself if it does!

2 comments:

Christina said...

Everything looks great!! I can't wait to see the results.

apt said...

Those sunflowers strips are a great idea. Last year the varmin kept eating my sunflower seeds. Even when I started them in a bucket and covered it with chicken wire.
These blogs are going to be so beautiful come late spring.