Friday, February 22, 2008

I'm Surrounded By Fricken Idiots

I wish I could say I was making this stuff up. Here are two direct copy and pastes from work e-mails that I have received.

Kerri,
I just can add XXX's (unsaid) service to these contacts, because you
have an option on which contractor you all want to us. The first thing I would
do is set up a meeting with the different contractors to see what they
each has to offer...


My response:
A meeting would be great. J and C need to be present as well.
Thanks.


--Meanwhile two weeks go by.--

I send a follow-up e-mail:
Have you talked to the vendors about a meeting with XXX? It's been a couple of weeks.
Thanks.

The response I receive:
Kerri,
I didn't know I was setup the meeting with the XXX and YYY companies. But if you want me to set up these meeting I can. XXX can meet February 27th at 1:30.


Are you kidding me? If this hadn't been like the fifth time this guy has not only dropped the ball, but just flat out played dumb about his role in this contract (he's the contract administrator!), I wouldn't have been so pissed. I must be on drugs, because the first message I got said: "the first thing I would do is set up a meeting with the vendors". Oh, I know this guy. The classic, blame everyone else, get out of doing as much leg work as I can type. There's one in every office.

And onto the next story. Same office, different person.

The e-mail I receive:
Hi guys, I am almost done with the RFP, I just need to see if any of you would like to have a pre-bid meeting. Thanks.

My response:
XXX is interested in having a pre-bid meeting. How many attendees can we have?

The response I receive:
Can I ask why you would like to have a pre-bid meeting?

Wow, it's almost like we're Abbott and Costello playing "Whose On First?". You asked if I'd like to have a pre-bid meeting, I said I would like to, and then you ask me why I want a pre-bid meeting. Hmm, didn't you just ask me if I wanted to have one in the first place? I'd like to have a pre-bid meeting for the same reason all pre-bid meetings are held. To meet with potential vendors and talk to them in person about the requirements and work statement that directly apply to the contract. Not everyone is qualified to bid on all projects, so a quick meeting to talk through issues in person can save some people hours of work submitting a proposal for a contract they'll never get. Purchasing 101 here, folks.
***
But it doesn't just stop there. I was at David's Bridal on Tuesday night. And after standing at the door waiting for someone to help me for several minutes, I was finally assisted. I told the clerk that I was there for shoes that I needed dyed to match this dress. I had the dress in my hand. She takes me over to the counter to look at color swatches. As we're flipping through the book I ask her:
"What's the turnaround on dyed shoes?".
I get a blank stare following by: "Wh-Huh?".
I then say "The shoes to get dyed. How long does it take for them to be dyed?".
She asks "When do you need them by?".
I say "March 8".
She says "Oh, no problem.".
Well, ok then. I didn't think what I was asking was that off the wall.

I guess maybe I'm just expecting people to be mind readers, and they are not. Got me.

No comments: