Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Adult Novelties

This story is totally inspired by one of my favorite bloggers, Anne Nahm. After reading her story this morning, I remembered when I ventured into an Adult Novelty Store with my friends.

We were on our way back from a weekend trip in Cadillac at Laura's parents' cottage.

Going from memory, the shack was just outside of town. It looks like an Adult Novelty Store that would be up north. Kinda barn-esque, just sorta there in the middle of nowhere. So we pull in, park the car and go inside. They've got it all there. Movies, costumes, toys galore, props, sprays, candles, oils. I guess everything an adult could be looking for. There is one clerk behind the counter, who pretty much just lets us be. We all sorta pan out and start looking at stuff. That's when it happens.

Annukka, my beloved friend, who talks incredibly loud (which she's aware of, so it's OK if I say it too), finds a bottle opener. It's a University of Michigan bottle opener that I believe plays the fight song after it opens a bottle. She yells over to me, "Hey Kerri, do you think your DAD would like this?". Me, not seeing what she had right away just said "I'd prefer it if you didn't ask me anything about my dad while we're in here".

I think the guy behind the counter about wet himself with laughter after hearing that. He, of course, didn't know what it was that Annukka was asking me about at first. For all he knew, Annukka was holding nipple clamps that hooked up to a mini battery for shock purposes wondering if my dad would like them. The guy also didn't know that Annukka is my sister-in-law looking for a present for her father-in-law for Christmas that year.

***

I don't think either of us ever told my dad where that bottle opener came from. We just exchanged smirks and glances after dad opened the present and said "Ohhh, thank you!". Heh, heh, if he only knew...

7 comments:

Harshit Gupta said...

Hi. Nice blog. And though there's nothing very special here, just liked it a lot. Pictures are beautiful and so is your obsession. The results of gardening.

Just keep it up.

Cheers. :)

Anonymous said...

OMG, I just about wet myself reading this. That was such a great trip!!!
Luvs~Anni

Keri said...

Too funny! Apparently your dad doesn't read your blog?

Heather said...

so funny!

apt said...

Anne's story had me laughing all day yesterday. Thanks for sharing yours, so I can continue the adult novelty laughing today.

Anonymous said...

C'mon...who doesn't think about their parents while they're in a toy store...clearly you're in the minority (LOL)! Great story!
Juniper

Anonymous said...

lolol! I love gifts that keep on giving, especially in secret knowledge form.

Also, thank you for the shout out!